Thursday, April 24, 2014

Why I Choose Crisco Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening instead of Butter in my Chocolate Chip Cookie Squares dipped in Dark Chocolate



My Chocolate Chip Cookie Squared Dipped in Dark Chocolate are  (Gluten-Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Casein Free, <1 and="" cholesterol="" free="" nut="" peanut="" sodium="" span="" tree="">

Recently I took my cookies to a potential partner whom I wanted to carry my cookies. By the way they loved the cookies, however they posed a question. Read On.....


I was asked by the "Food Buyer" why I didn't use butter instead of Crisco Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening in my cookies? I loved the challenge the question presented... 

My response went something like this (paraphrased): If I used butter, it would compromise my integrity and the integrity of the cookie. I then begin to also give him the comparison of why I choose this ingredient for my cookies. CBFAVS adds buttery, rich flavor to my food, naturally and artificially flavored (the taste of real butter) it offers 50% less saturated fat than butter and 0g of trans fats per serving. CBFAVS has Polyunsaturated Fat 6g, Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g, Cholesterol 0mg 0%, Sodium 0mg 0%, Carbohydrates 0mg 0%, Sodium 0mg 0%, Protein 0mg 0%, Vitamin A and E are also prevalent. Also excellent source of ALA Omega-3 fatty acid.

Butter is typically made from cow's milk and consist mostly butterfats. Butter is generally about 80% fat, with the remaining 20% consisting of water and milk solids. Unsalted butters insures that you can control the amount salt you add to your cookies, cakes, fudge and other sweet treats. Different brands add different amounts of salt. Salt is a preservative. Salted butter has a longer shelf life than unsalted, which means unsalted butter is typically fresher. Salt can also mask flavors! Butter isn't a significant source of trans fats, however shortening has 0mg0 trans fat, as mentioned earlier. This is also considered as the worst fat type of fat because it not only increase the levels of LDL, or bad cholesterol, but they also can decrease your HDL, or good cholesterol.

While using fat in your baked goods helps them to stay moist which is ultimately important, the type of fat you use is just as important, because they both affect the nutritional facts and the texture of the finished product. 

Shortening is a solid fat derived from plants that undergo a process known as hydrogenation that changes the chemical composition and allows a normally liquid oil to remain solid. Shortening is used in many purposes of cooking, and is especially good in baking. Shortening is a little bit higher in total fat, when consuming a tablespoon (13g) over butter (11.4g), when following a 2,000-calorie diet. While shortening is higher in total fat, butter contains more saturated fat since it comes from animals and shortening is usually made from plant oils, butter contains more saturated since it comes from animals and  shortening is usually made from plant oils. Saturated fat is known as the "bad fats", since it can inflate the cholesterol levels, which raises your risk of heart disease. Saturated fat should not be more than 10 percent of your daily calories. 

In baking, shortening is good when used to make pastries, pie crusts and biscuits to make them flaky. It is also used in frying or deep-frying as a liquid.

Consuming too much fat increases your risk of obesity and obesity-related health conditions like heart disease and Type 2 diabetes, so aim to keep your total fat consumption at no more than 35 percent of your total calories.

So overall, for certain desserts I use a variety of oils, however in this instance I choose shortening. Also I would like to say, our Chocolate Chip Cookie Squares (Gluten-Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Casein Free, <1 and="" cholesterol="" free="" i="" nut="" peanut="" sodium="" tree=""> will be sold in one of the nations largest high end grocery stores.

www.shop.thebarkofjoycandyco.com


No comments:

Post a Comment