Friday, May 6, 2011

Women "DO" belong in the weight room!

Age: Big Girl  Height 5'2" Weight before: 148 lb Weight now: 125 lb Location: Houston, Tx. Occupation: Entreprenuer Favorite move: Pull Ups Favorite Movie: Baps, Avatar Best Compliments: Nice Legs

The first time in entered into the gym all I knew to do was to do was stayed around where the cardio machines were. I was very intimidated by the buff men, and afraid of “looking like a fool”, so I stuck to the training methods I knew best. I couldn’t go wrong as long as the machine I followed had a picture that gave me directions. Except it wasn’t working for me, as I believe it’s not working for most women who enter the gym. After turning 40, I noticed my metabolism slowed and I started gaining weight. Weight is not always noticeable at first. Sometimes the weight just sort of creep up on you and that’s because it hides in one of the storage areas. I felt like I was spinning out of control. It then I knew I needed to build up confidence.


Making a Go for it
I decided to hire a personal trainer to walk me through the proper strength training moves and forms. I knew that moving over the free weight area meant changing my mindset. “I told myself I wasn’t going to have to act as if I was the only person over there in order for me to do this. So I had to have my ear phones on, give no eye contact, concentrate on what I was doing and not be concerned about what was going on around me.” I said “I have a right to be here using the dumbbells as well.” Now with my routine in tow, I was able to stick to my workouts, knowing I had a plan to guide me through my session. The day I was finally able to perform 10 pull-ups by myself, I knew I’d made a lasting change.

Forming New Habits
Shaking p my meals was more challenging. I was used to dieting and skipping breakfasts and dinners, only to dive into my hidden stash of chips. “My biggest obstacle was overcoming a sugar addiction.” Once my trainer introduced me to clean eating, I tapped into the power of words to kick the cravings. “I had to tell myself that I like the way I’m beginning to look than I like cajetas. “Saying it aloud helped me push myself.” Soon I begin to drop even more services.

Finding My Place
Now 10 years later, with my first time in my life I can honestly say “I love my body.” I attribute it to determination, perseverance, commitment and lifestyle change. I continue to challenge my body and push through my workout routine. “As for the buff guys that are in the weight room,

No comments:

Post a Comment